Friday, February 4, 2011

21 Konstruktions - Elements






In the early 1980s I was a long distance operator for AGT (now Telus).  On long late-night shifts I would work on a graphic design correspondence course where I learned that if someone designed a new typeface they could get paid $2000.  This was astounding to me.  I did develop one and have it to this day but here in the 21st century, light years later, this accomplishment seems archaic and nostalgic.  The idea has never really left me.  Individual letters and symbols are artistically interesting to me.  So much so I seem to see 'writing' all around (shadows of grass, cracks in sidewalks, etc).  This is not new (nor crazy, thank you. Please see Anselm Kiefer's work as a reference).

Late last year I posted a series of works in progress and part of this series includes the identification, isolation, and creation of a typeface.  My eventual goal is to one day create a volume of books bound by me and filled with text using this set of 'letters'.  


Also of note I have now begun the next phase of this series.  Image No. One of twenty-one has now been drawn.  It felt really good to have conte and charcoal on my fingers again.



Image No. One













No comments:

Post a Comment